Saturday, September 13, 2008

Reporting Live from Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratories

For the next week, I'll be reporting live from Salisbury Cove, Maine--about a 5-hour drive from Boston--while I'm attending a course entitled "Origins of Renal Physiology". It's at a placed called Mount Desert Island Biological Lab (or MDIBL for short) and is basically a small, private research center in an idyllic Maine environment which has been dedicated to studying marine organisms and their physiology. What relevance does this have to the kidney? It turns out that a lot of the pioneering work in understanding how the kidney functions was performed in fish. We'll be discussing and expanding on several of these classic experiments.

Here' s my rental car parked in front of my living quarters for the week. Not too shabby.


Here's a view from one of the labs overlooking the cove.
While I was walking around today I easily found the shark tank--starting bright and early tomorrow, we will actually be doing some experiments with these sharks, I will keep you posted.